HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Vergil Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:35:31 -0500
     I am perhaps responsible for suggesting in a previous posting that the
     SHAs are tied to the semester break.  That was indeed a factor in
     setting the dates many years ago, but not the only one.  From a more
     practical standpoint, the first or second week of January has been
     viewed as advantageous because the hotel convention business is
     typically slow at that time of year (no surprise), and so we have
     geater leverage to get things like free  meeting space and lower
     rates.  Although room rates have climbed moderately over the years, we
     still enjoy much cheaper lodging than other groups like the SAA
     ($105-134 this year in Seattle).  When you consider that SHA usually
     is able to negotiate a flat rate regardless of numbers of occupants in
     the room, we get a real bargain by meeting in January.  If the
     membership were willing to pay the higher rates, I suppose we could
     move the meeting time with little harm done.  There's also the
     potential problem, however, of encroaching on the traditional
     conference times of sibling societies, which would have to be avoided.

     As one who nearly came to grief on the Ohio Turnpike returning from a
     conference years ago, I can sympathize with those who would prefer a
     different time of year.  One of these days, of course, the SHA is
     bounnd to take a real hit if a winter storm reduces the projected
     attendance by half, and that may convince more people that a January
     meeting is questionable.  Imagine if this had been the year for Quebec
     City instead of 2000.  Thanks to El Nino, we would have been in
     terrible shape--if we had a meeting at all.  And the weather problem
     doesn't even have to be in the host city.  A storm closing a few major
     airports on the East coast, or perhaps Chicago and other major
     interior hubs, could have the same effect.

     In recent years there has been a marked lack of "New Business" at the
     SHA Annual Business Meeting--none in Atlanta.  Seems to me that it
     would be an ideal place to voice these kinds of concerns to the board
     and generate some discussion.  Certainly change is not going to occur
     unless the board perceives that a large segment of the membership is
     displeased with the current arrangement and viable options exist.