HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:17:16 -0400

In a message dated 8/24/2006 1:54:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

My  main
complaint is that it is a laymans term for a broad range of  activities, not
scientific term. In my experience however the term  is used in a derogatory
manner,
usually by white people, and usually  with an air of superiority.

There is nothing "scientific" about religious or spiritual belief. In my
opinion, the linguistic transition from Voodoo or Voodoun to hoodoo represents a
generational breakdown the attachment to a former belief system and
replacement  by another. People whose parents or grandparents once practiced the old
religion, but whose current religion is something else (say Islam or
Protestant)  use the term to refer to the old way. I cannot speak for others, but I do
not  think anyone intended to be derogatory and really wish the harsh comments
would  end. The part of this thread about the meaning of the term is
interesting, but  judging others for using the term in an implied way is not amusing.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.