HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Davis, Daniel (KYTC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:59:35 -0400
I am aware of at least one instance of an apparent witch bottle
recovered from an archaeological site here in Kentucky; it was a
stoppered glass vial containing several pins and was recovered by a
hearth. The association wasn't the best, as the house had been
destroyed, but luckily, the vial was intact and was actually recovered
beneath the hearth. Additional pins, several of which were bent into
loops, were recovered around a nearby doorway, along with several glass
shards that may have been another vial. The most likely candidate for
deposition of the artifacts was an Irish family that had emigrated to
the US in 1848.
The most common type of charm I've identified would be chert bifaces or
projectile points found in and around hearths in historic structures.
According to a 1921 book of common folk beliefs and superstitions in
Kentucky, "Indian flints" were used to keep hawks off your chickens.
It's a belief I have not tested.

Daniel B. Davis
Archaeologist Coordinator
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet