HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2011 22:46:15 -0500
Sounds like it might possibly be black-glazed redware. However, I don't believe black-glazed redware was popular after 1830 even though it may have been in production in small quantities in the latter half of the nineteenth century. The glaze has a glassy "sheen" to it from the additive of magnesium oxide, not to be confused with "lustre ware."

Pat Tucker
Swanton, Ohio