From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:52:18 +0100
The results were:

BUILDING A LIBRARY RECOMMENDATION:
MAHLER Symphony No.1

Reviewer: Edward Seckerson

First Choice:
Concertgebouw Orchestra, Leonard Bernstein (conductor)
(recorded 1989; c/w Symphony No.5; Lieder eines
fahrenden
Gesellen: Thomas Hampson (baritone), Vienna
Philharmonic,
Leonard Bernstein (conductor)
DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON 469 154-2 (2-CD, mid-price)

Budget Choice:
Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, Rafael Kubelik
(conductor)
(recorded 1968; c/w Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen:
Dietrich
Fischer-Dieskau (baritone)
DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON 439 410-2GCL (CD, budget)

Also available DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON 449 735-2 (CD,
mid-price)
DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON 463 738-2 (10-CD, budget)
PENGUIN CLASSICS 460 6542 (CD, mid-price)

Historic Choice:
Halle Orchestra, Sir John Barbirolli (conductor)
(recorded 1957; c/w PURCELL arr. Barbirolli Suite for
Strings,
Woodwind & Horns)
DUTTON CDSJB1015 (CD, mid-price)

I strongly question the Kubelik recommendation because the brass sound
poor as recorded.  Surely the live 1979 Audite version was better?  I
notice they give the Bernstrain as a coupling, together with Bernsteain's
overrated VPO M5 etc (the Adagietto is too soppy for my liking and the
coda of the finale lacks sheer omph, especially from the timpani).

I second the winning choice.  It is a thrilling performance.  Stunning
playing from the RCOA, especailly the velocoity of the strings in the
final movement.  I like the additional thwaks from the timpani in the
coda.  Tony Duggan correctly pointed out that had Mahler wanted them he
would have put them in.  But they sound terrific and Mahler was not
exactly adverse to fiddling about with others' scores to suit.  It is a
wonderful recording.

I hope DG reissue Lenny's M3 with the NYPO as one of these 2fers also.
It is my favourite M3 by some stretch and difficult to find at a reasonable
price these days.

Kind regards,

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK