From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:09:15 +0100
Dear All, A couple of months ago I posted regarding the inadequacy of
recordings of Bruckner's 6th.

I felt Klemperer failed to make a proper relationship between the first two
movements (the second being far too flowing), Blomstedt and Eichenbach and
the Arte Nova recording have some irritating tempo changes within movements
and Tintner was let down by lowsey playing and production values that did
no one any credit.  Furtwangler is missing a first movement and some of the
brass playing is too aggressive (important to hear this one though).  Wand's
first NDRSO live recording (1987/8?) is marred by too forward trumpet playing
and Wand's rushing into crescendos in the second movement, robbing them of
the simple grandure that, say, Tintner brings.

Classic CD said the Chailly was let down by playing and Gramophone says
there are problems, also with playing, in the latest Gielen version.

Following this someone of the list VERY kindly allowed me to hear the
earlier Tintner commercial recording, made with the Bohuslav Martinu
Orchestra.  This recording is well worth a listen as the brass playing
is much better than the NZSO and it is exciting to hear Tintner unwinding
the final bars of the first movement (something all other conductors ignore)
with decent playing.  There is the same adherence to basic tempo but the
recording is let down by the string playing with is far too, putting it
kindly, 'vibrant'.  This ruins, in particular the simple nobility of the
second movement where the dark, layered NZSO strings really come into their
own.  Also the fourth movement lack the sheer logic and imagination (eg from
the timpani) of the NZSO recording.

I despair of finding an wholly recommendable Bruckner 6 and feel the field
is wide open for a newcommer.  I have not heard the (unavailble - deleted)
Cleveland Orchestra recording, but if any orchestra can pull off the Bruckner
6 it must be this magnificent US band.  I am concerned that Dohnanyi can be
too cool sometimes and also by reviews in Gramophone where they say he makes
changes of tempo within the fourth movement.  Tintner's NZSO recording shows
that by sticking to a basic pulse and builidng a firm musical line toward
the coda there are no tempo problems to correct.

I would hope any newcommer would consider the NZSO/Tintner recording before
committing their Bruckner 6 to CD. Despite the shocking lapses in playing,
there is the unwinding of the final bars of the first movement, a gravely
beautiful second movement of straightforward strength and a most satisfying
fourth movement (holding a basic pulse - no need to suddenly slow after
the 'crisis' at about 4 minutes).  Overall, I think the 2nd movt of the
Tintner/NZSO recording, together with his Bruckner 2, are the best things
I have heard him conduct on CD.

Kind regards,

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK