From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 09:46:52 +1000
Ray Bayles asserted:

>IMHO, Rozsa's music is great music, but it is not classical music and
>doesn't belong on this already crowded list.  Our radio station was once
>donated an entire collection of Rozsa's recorded music.  Amazing stuff.
>But not classical.

Using Ray's apparent definition of what CM is, what of his Symphony and
Violin Concerto by way of examples? If not CM, then what are they?

There is no absolute definition of what CM is and isn't.  The assumption
seems to be that because Rozsa is better known as a composer of film music,
then none of his music is CM.  The assumption is also -apparently -that no
film music can reasonably be regarded as CM.  This morning on the radio,
I heard a suite of Finzi's music for a radio production of Love's Labour's
Lost.  It sounded like CM to me.  If, however, Finzi had written it for a
*film* of Love's Labour's Lost - an unlikely eventuality, I'll grant you -
does this make it no longer CM? By extension, does any suite of incidental
music for a play performed on the stage, on the radio, on television, on a
barge on the Thames during a fireworks display, on the platform at Track 29
at Grand Central Station, wherever, still qualify as CM?

Richard Pennycuick