From:
Ray Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:40:30 -0700
Pilz hasn't been in business since 1997.  They got themselves in trouble.

Last I heard, Pilz and the fellow who founded it were in Federal court
for fraud on that very issue.  Even the decision must be over a year old
by now, but I don't think it will be possible to ever learn the real
orchestras and performers of those amazing cheap works.  I don't know the
total but there were well over 100 recordings sold, and all were pretty
darn good.  Because many knowledgeable people ignored those $3.99 and $4.99
CD's with their strange sounding orchestras, conductors, and artists, he
wasn't found out for years.  You can still find them in shops and mail
order catalogs.  Pilz was charged with selling highly rated performances
and recordings without giving any credit and without paying any fees or
royalties - world wide.  I know a radio station that still plays their
collection of 100's of Pilz CD's phony names and all.

I wouldn't be surprised if Naxos got their idea to market CD's cheaply from
the Pilz success, but with ethics and fairness.

Ray Bayles