From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 01:13:32 +0100
Larry Sherwood wrote:

>The young man is outgrowing his current instrument.  His parents are
>hoping to delay a $100,000 purchase for some time (perhaps on the order
>of two years, to allow the lad to decide if he wants to pursue music at
>the college level).  Does anyone happen to have, or know someone who does
>have, a spare violin that he or she would consider lending this young man?

This is an interesting topic that I was thinking of addressing myself.  I'm
afraid, Larry, that I myself cannot be of assistance to you, but I would
like to underline the need for instruments, and put out a call myself.

The $100,000 figure you mention is about average, perhaps even on the low
side for an instrument of great quality.  This is a ridiculous sum for a
working musician or the family of an aspiring young player.

I also need an instrument, folks.  Does anyone know of an instrument
collection that loans out instruments to players? Alternatively, for
someone who has the financial resources, would someone be interested in
making a beautiful investment and at the same time helping an artist?

The instrument I play on was loaned to me years ago by a former teacher.
I'd like to return it to him, but there is NO WAY I can buy an instrument
myself.  Forget ever buying a house, forget ever saving money, I would have
to pump every penny and peseta I earn into paying off a humungous loan to
buy the instrument I want and desparately need.  For an investor, however,
purchasing an instrument would be like buying a good blue-chip stock or
government bond; the value of old instruments increases every year and
their eventual resale is guaranteed.  Can you say that about real estate?

Furthermore I have a fairly specific need.  The violinist in my trio,
Jennifer Peck, plays a fiddle made in 1711 by Giorgio Serafino. Yes,
that's where we got our name.  My dream is to find a Serafino cello.  (I
don't believe he made pianos:-) The cello on our new CD, by the way, isn't
even the one I usually play on; it was loaned to me by a good friend for
the recording.

I will be very interested to see if anyone has any input on this, both for
me and for Larry's young friend.  As he says, all legal guarantees and
insurance are of course assured.

David Runnion
http://www.serafinotrio