From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 02:53:56 -0600
David Runnion wrote:

>This is an interesting topic that I was thinking of addressing myself.  I'm
>afraid, Larry, that I myself cannot be of assistance to you, but I would
>like to underline the need for instruments, and put out a call myself.

This is indeed an interesting topic and I would like to add my two cents
if I may.  When the Meyerson Symphony center was built ten years ago in our
fair city, the Herman and Amelia Lay (of potato chip fame) family laid out
a small fortune for a new concert organ, since built by CB Fisk and enjoyed
by all.  There are lots of rich folk out there who love to see their names
on things.  I would strongly advocate the foundation of an entity that
purchased and maintained a number of instruments which would available to
worthy students and professionals to use.  It would surely be and ego boost
to any donor to see that " Mr.  Runnion plays on the Guarneri cello from
the Joe Q.  Gazillionaire memorial musical instrument collection." I don't
have the financial acumen to start such a thing myself, but I would
certainly lend my name and the name of the Helios Ensemble to any project,
for what those names are worth.  Any ideas on how members of this forum
might get such a foundation started?

Kevin Sutton