From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:07:16 PST
Recent recordings of Bach's partitas include Rosalyn Tureck on Philip's
Great Pianists series and Murray Perahia on Sony.  Now, Nonesuch has just
issued Richard Goode performing partitas # 2, 4, and 5.

How does Goode compare to Tureck and Perahia? - not too well.  I took
some notes while I was listening to Goode:  too delicate, pulling tempos
around in fast movements, losing momentum.  Overall, Goode certainly is
a masterful pianist, but I found him not well suited to Bach.  He engages
in excessive tempo changes in fast sections which destroy the music's
flow, and he indulges in an approach of delicacy in the slow movements.
I definitely prefer both Tureck and Perahia in the partitas with Tureck
having a small edge.

Don Satz