From:
Pawel Kotla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 02:10:11 -0000
From: Michel Bertignac:

>A recent post by Mark Seeley mentioned a discovery he made about the
>structure of Bartok's work.  I read somewhere that Bartok frequently used
>the "golden section" in his compositions.  Is it something shared by other
>composers and if so which composers?

One of the most obvious examples is Lutoslawski.  It is believed (e.g.
Charles Bodman Rae's biography) that he used it for the first time in his
'Funeral Music' for strings, which was written 'Bartok in memoriam'.

However, while writing my dissertation on Lutoslawski at my music college
I discovered that one could find this phenomenon already in the 1st
movement of his 'Concerto for Orchestra'.  Moreover, the climax comes at a
point which is much closer to the one implied by the 'golden section' than
in any of his later pieces.

Pawel Kotla