From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2000 08:36:21 -0400
Deryk Barker a dit:

>For me JB's 1,2 and 4-7 rank with the finest there are; his 3rd is quite
>slow and the only near-disappointment: it's a lovely performance but
>doesn't displace others in my affections, whereas the others mainly do.
>His 5th is incredible as is his 7th.

Deryk, does this 5th surpass his live one on the former BBC Radio Classics?
Because that one is a worldbeater for sure!

>I made the mistake of listening to JB's set before (trying) Ashkenazy's

>which I recently picked up used.  Although I enjoyed VA's 1st when it came
>out, I found I could hardly get through a single complete work so bland did
>it all sound.

Can't agree.  I think Ashkenazy found a true, unaffected Sibelian voice
in his cycle that is really touching.  His 3rd and 6th are still tops for
me (with Beecham alongside for the 6th.) And though for the 2nd I prefer
a Kajanus/Jarvi-style blazing first movement, when I want to hear it done
broad and grand I turn to the Ashkenazy.  Speaking of the 2nd, do you agree
with the previous poster that the Barbirolli 2nd in this set is not quite
a match for the earlier one on Chesky?

Jon Lewis