From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 20:45:56 -0500
Jeff Grossman wrote:

>Hello, everyone.  I was hoping that I could get some thoughts from the list
>about a generally good set of the Beethoven symphonies.  I bought a cheap
>set a few years ago, but I'm now at the point where the interpretations and
>quality of the set consistently disappoint me.  I want to get a full-priced
>set, but there are so many options, I have no idea which to choose.

Do you want period instrument performances? Or Historically-informed
whether on modern instruments or no? I don't know Harnoncourt's, you'll
have to take someone else's word there.  I have the Gardiner, which
is certainly acceptable.  I also have most of Norrington's (bought
singly).  I liked them at first but they didn't wear well.  For standard
performances, Szell would be a good choice.  There is a complete set
offered with Klemperer conducting.  Bernstein (VPO) and Karajan have their
admirers--if the latter has any recorded with the philharmonia orchestra
those would be preferable.  His 1963 set with the Berlin is well-regarded
also.  Bruno Walter is the old reliable in this repertoire, unfailingly
melodic with still a sense of structure and taste.  Lots of choices!

Chris Bonds