From:
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 18:57:21 +0100
Rod wondered about the Graf piano:

>It was the most favoured Viennese piano in the 1820/30's.  I can tell you
>the Graf is the number one preference for fortepianists playing Beethoven.

Yes, but isn't it more important what Beethoven himself preferred? I guess
so.

>I have heard a few originals and the sound is ideal as far as I am
>concerned.  Perhaps this particular instrument was not in an ideal
>condition also.  If you are expecting to hear a Steinway you will be
>disappointed regardless - they are two totally different instruments
>sonically and technically.

Don't worry, I didn't expect a Steinway.  On the contrary.  Living in the
Netherlands where HIP in every respect has become fashionable since the
seventies I've listened to many a fortepiano, so I know the sound of those
"oldies" very well.  But honestly, I didn't like the Graf.  By the way,
have you ever listened to the CD, released by Jorg Demus, playing on this
particular instrument? Also not my cup of tea.

Best,
Joyce