From:
Rodney Corkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:36:35 -0500
I'd like some opinions regarding period instrument performace of Classical
period music, especially Beethoven.  I have long argued that for the
nuances of the works of this time to be fully realised its no good
listening to old Alfred Brendel and Karajan/BPO recordings.  For me modern
methods of playing (eg copious amouts of vibrato on the strings) and the
instruments themselves are inapropriate (eg I suggest a piano by Graf circa
1820's if far more suitable for exploring the possiblities of Beethoven's
piano music than a modern Steinway).

Thanks,

Rod