From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2018 07:54:51 -0700
> Fact is, bees won't build much comb on syrup alone, they need pollen.

I've not heard this claim before, Pete.  Can you please share supportive
evidence for it?

>I would love to see Randy's experiment redone,  with the emphasis on brood
> instead of wax.  Just to see if there is a difference there?

Yes, would be an interesting experiment.  I do know that nectar or syrup is
not necessary in early spring for serious broodrearing, provided that a
colony has plenty of honey and receives enough pollen or pollen sub, and
that at least some Northern Calif commercial operators have very good
success at stimulating broodrearing with heavy syrup.

> >I suspect the reason for the delay in wax building in that experiment,
> is based on the need for bees of the right age, as much as the sugar.

That wasn't the reason Charlie--wax production commenced when expected--not
until they'd filled every drawn comb in the hive body below with syrup.
This is a well-supported observation--that colonies only build comb when
necessary--meaning that they've run out of already available drawn comb.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA