HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 06:38:21 -0500
We are perfectly satisfied with LandCalc, from COMPUneering, which runs on
any Macintosh.  You can enter the metes and bounds from a file, or
interactively. It will calculate closings (those infamous last courses),
area in any unit of measurement you wish. It will label each line and point
with whatever format or contents you want.

The output is vectored graphic, which can be printed at any scale on a
laser printer.

If you want to use the output in more elaborate formats, the program will
produce a PICT file, which can be read by graphic or CAD programs such as
Super Paint, and embedded in Microsoft (ugh!) Word or other word processing
files.

LandCalc is a powerful computing tool as well as a graphic package. It can
export metes and bounds to a companion contour mapping program. It can
accept work from a data collector, such as those by Sokkia, Leica, Topcon,
Geodimeter, and Pentax. My copy is ten years old, so there may be updates
of which I am not aware. I have never needed to use their service. It will
run on Macs of any age, provided they have the capacity; I am currently
using a PowerMac under System 8.5, and I have been using it since I had a
Classic under 6.0.

The program is available in two different sizes; the smaller version will
handle 30 points, sufficient for most deeds.

The program is (at least was) available from COMPUneering, 113 McCabe
Crescent, Thornhill, Ontario L4J 2S6, Canada. Phone 905-738-4601.

As I say, this is old data. They probably have a website. I haven't needed
to contact them since I got the program, which should be testimony enough.

If you're using a non-Macintosh for deed plotting or other graphic
projects, I can't help you.

  Celebrating an anniversary year:
  20 years of Archaeology and History

  Ned Heite            _(____)_