From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 22:05:41 -0400
Bob Draper wrote:

>I like this analogy between music and art.  Let me put another proposition
>to you.  Would like to you touch up the Mono Lisa with brighter colours?
>Perhaps we could make Van Gough's lines a bit smoother.  Or, sharpen up
>a Turner. ...

Aside from anything else, touching up a painting alters it irrevocably,
subject perhaps to restoration.  But you either have the painting in its
original form or in its touched up form.  You can't have both.

Playing a musical work in a manner, or with instruments, different from how
the composer is believed to have intended it to be played originally does
not render it impossible to hear the work closer to what we may believe
were the composer's intentions.  We can always choose which we want.

Walter Meyer