From:
Andreas von Doebeln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 20:35:40 +0200
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>What I find most annoying is when composers pay hommage by quoting.
>Dvorak's Ninth final movement has a quote from Beethoven's Ninth second
>movement which I wish wasn't there.

Why? OK, quoting just for quoting itself can be quested, but some
composers used to quote to express something they really wanted to say.
Take Sjostakovitjs Wagner quotations in his 15th symphony for instance.
And I can tell you; he is NOT joking!!

Andreas von Doebeln