From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 23:29:02 -0400
I saw a Naxos (8.559009) recording of his Piano Quintet, Op. 38 and String
Quartets Opp. 32 and 70 on display at Tower w/ a store recommendation and
bought it out of curiosity.  I'd heard of Foote and thought he was a bit
more contemporary than he is.  His actual dates are 1853-1937, which made
him alive when I was born so we were contemporaries for a small number of
years.

With these impressions I was struck by how Brahmsian, in the complimentary
sense of the word, his Quintet sounded to me.  A delight to listen to from
beginning to end and for me a refutation of some people's claim that a
music work that sounds as though written by another composer of stature can
only be pastiche at best and never a work of quality on its own.

The opus 32 Quartet, also romantic, also enchanting, sounded to me less
suggestive of JB.  The liner notes say that it reminds of Tchaikowsky's D
Major quartet, which I haven't heard often enough to recognize. To me it
sounded like a finely written quartet from the last century, which it was.

The opus 70 Quartet, dedicated to Frederick Stock, sounded decidedly
different from 19th century romantic music, and indeed it wasn't, having
been written from 1907 to 1910.

I'm grateful to the Tower team that recommended it.

Walter Meyer