From:
Ray Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 12:15:54 -0600
I will have to reply later on my current top 10, but here are my 19
unranked favorites, with Landowska, Schiff, Gould, and Leonhardt all near
the top. I am fond of Rosen, Nikolayeva, and Jarrett which many people
on this list are not.  What always amazes me is how very different most
performances are, and yet how enjoyable they all are...  There are few I
really dislike, and few that I think are outstanding.  I would have to give
a fresh listen to each of them to firm up my top 10:

Gould: '54, '59, '55, '81 in that order
Landowska
Leonhardt
Jarrett
Richter
Pinnock
Robert Hill
Rousset
Maggie Cole
Nikolayeva
Rosen
Schiff
Dershavina
Turek    '94 on Vai

And I am thoroughly enjoying new versions:

Tjako van Schie     from the Netherlands who has issued a very musical
performance
Joseph Eotvos    on guitar.

Ray Bayles