ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erich Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:27:38 -0500

Absolutely.  But I was obviously being facetious in the cockroach analogy.  Then again, I seriously don't give us another 100,000 years.

But to get real with this discussion I think it is very interesting how it brings out some of the general misconceptions about evolution.  Several folks have pointed out that it will go on, with or without genetic engineering, cloning, etc. That is absolutely true.  The details of the evolutionary process are yet to be fully comprehended.  We now(in historical terms) only see small scale human adaptations in the form of things like high altitude adjustment, lactose tolerance, disease resistance, etc.  The greater effects of mutations and the selection of them may never be evident until something calamitous happens.  It might take something like the odd difference in the .01% of us that survives a world wide plague that finally changes/evolves Homo sapiens.  We can look back at the fossil record and see a time when multiple hominids occupied similar territories.  Thru paleoanthropology we try and figure out why and how each came to be and then went it's way.  But the fossil record is incomplete.

There is a concept in evolutionary study that was proposed by Stephen Jay Gould and Niles Eldridge termed Punctuated Equilibrium.  I am paraphrasing, but it basically states that when we look at the fossil record we see species lasting tens, hundreds, if not millions of years without any apparent change.  Then something happens, continents move, ice ages occur, an asteroid knocks things silly and in the wake we find those species (sometimes apparently new) that for whatever reason had an advantage.  And that advantage(mutation) could have meant nothing until the event takes place.

Opponents like to pick it apart by describing all sorts of discrepancies that make it impossible (or just very very hard) to make a simple one-sentence explanation for evolution.  When in fact there appears to be a wide variety and scale of factors and effects involved in the process.  Many are environmental but others are just the product of genetic drift and the mutations that take place.  Life in fact evolves  as much from within as without.  [Someone help me out here. There is a quote (It was actually in a scientific publication years ago) I saw once and it basically says:  For every idea in science there is a simple and clear explanation, AND it's wrong.]

Chuck Howarth started a thread about how the public just can't be bothered by facts, and was questioning how we should attack the problem of educating(not teaching)  the public when they have so little regard for what we call "the truth."  I believe we can all learn more by trying to approach these things from a more Gestalt level.  We need to become more aware of our surroundings and environment and in that way learn to "feel" that evolution makes sense.  I believe this applies to all sciences as well.  Facts alone are too easy.

(But then Jonah is working on a death ray* so it all might be mote)

* Inside joke

Erich Rose (don't get me started...)

Erich Rose Design
807 The Living End