HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:52:46 EDT
Tumacacori Polychrome is glazed blue on both sides of bowls and comales and
can vary in color from blue to gray. The only ornamentation is just below the
rim or brim of the vessel. I have not seen one that is not blue on both
sides.  These were a much nicer grade of Majolica than the Puebla Tradition or
Aranama  Tradition (what Jack and Anita Williams call Abo'-Aranama Tradition). On
this  point, the potters' guild set standards for three grades of Majolica;
yellow  (plain white), common, and fine. As the guild lost political favor
during the  Mexican Republic, the Majolica factories experimented and broke
tradition to  produce pottery that competed well with European export pottery. I
believe this  becomes evident between 1810 and 1830. Mark Barnes goes into detail
in the 1970  publication, Mexican Majolica in Northern New Spain, by proposing
three  time divisions for the polychrome ornamentation. I believe the height
of the  Mexican Republic era produced Majolica can be marked by Tumacacori
Polychrome.  While more pieces from your site may prove me wrong, I think you
cannot  make too much out of one slightly grayer sherd because the range of color
 variants includes gray tints of blue.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 3/18/2009 9:51:05 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,