HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 04:28:44 EDT
Susan,

You are describing Tumacacori Polychrome, which appeared in Northern New
Spain in the late 1830s and terminated at the Mexican War. The type continued to
be made in Mexico through the 19th century. You can find a reference to it
under  Ronald V. May and Mark Barnes, 1970, Mexican Majolica in New Spain,
Pacific Coast Archaeological Society Quarterly Special Publication. Several  other
publications under my name also discuss it and you can find it in my MA
thesis at San Diego State University for 1975. There are photos of the type in
several of Edwin Atlee Barber's catalogues for the Hispanic Society of America,
but he used a different name. Sherds of this type were found at the San Diego
 Presidio, San Diego Mission, Mission San Juan Capistrano, and the Ruiz
Alvarado  Adobe.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 3/17/2009 4:40:42 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,