HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 21:08:38 +0200
been there, done that; cited a few variants a couple of days ago; think the
best anyone could do is go back to the original manuscript & see if there
was a transcription error along the way
1. trans. To shape or cut (out) in the form of a scallop-shell; to ornament
or trim with scallops.
1883 GRESLEY Gloss. Coal-mining, Scallop, to cut..the sides of a heading
without holing them, or using powder.
     2. Cookery. To bake (oysters, etc.) in a scallop-shell or
similar-shaped pan or plate with bread crumbs, cream, butter, and
condiments.

1. Having the border, edge, or outline cut into a series of segments of
circles resembling a scallop-shell.    a. Nat. Hist. (Sometimes the specific
name of an animal or plant: see quots.)