HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 13:47:11 +0100
Actually, kind of worse; we still use inexperienced "helpers" from the ranks
of the long-term unemployed in a lot of cases; the latest scam is to hire
people on something called "400 euro" jobs: part-time work earning up to 400
euros/month is not taxed, so the "unemployed" or "students" can clean
supermarkets, work in shops, or excavate part time...
Given the lack of single-context planning, general disdain for "practical"
teaching ("methodology" is a subject suitable only for "technicians" not
"archaeologists" to discuss), a tendency to discourage students from
attending field schools (whereas Latin is still de rigueur), divisions
between states that discourage the development of units/companies capable of
undertaking large projects, etc., it's not a pretty picture...
Being technically unemployed at the moment, I'm more discouraged by some of
the philosophical minutae/implications of my dissertation at the moment,
though; stratigraphic ontology...
Which sort of keeps me away from my hobbies: cycling, sleeping, having some
sort of a social life ;)