From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:03:28 -0800
Mary Esterheld wrote:

>I, too, had the priviledge of seeing/hearing her Friday afternoon and
>totally agree.  So I was somewhat dismayed at the review by Peter Dobrin in
>the Saturday's Inquirer (phillynews.com).

That was such a strange review!

>This may have been discussed recently on the list, but I know that at least
>parts of that concerto were used in some movie and I've been trying to
>remember which? Anyone remember?

'The Competition' - shot outside my Russian Hill flat in San Francisco for
several nights.  The director wouldn't let me leave for awhile one night
because it would ruin his shot (!).

The scene was toward the end of the movie as the male competitor wanders
outside and hears his girlfriend playing a slow section of this piece and
realizes he's lost the competition.  The playing is beautiful and it's by
Daniel Pollack, now teaching at USC, I think.

Andrys in Berkeley
http://www.andrys.com/books.html   search sheet music, videos, CDs
http://www.andrys.com/cbooks.html  newer classical music books