From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 06:00:07 -0300
Steve Schwarz:

>Pablo Massa asks, incredulously:

>>PS: Who eats candies at classical concerts?
>
>Oh, my innocent.  Where do you live? Can I move there? In New Orleans,
>where I live, I've sat behind people who read aloud to their children
>as well as unwrapped and devoured candy during classical concerts.

Customs are a bit different here in Buenos Aires (and generally in South
America), maybe due to italian and french traditions. Five years ago, you
must go to the Teatro Colon's season opening with a smoking suit, and at
the night concerts, at least with a tie. Other concert theaters had similar
restrictions too. Eating candies would be (and is still) almost a criminal
offence. All these restrictions are despised nowadays, but they have a good
side: they creates a sort of ritual atmosphere that I like very much.
However,  we could make a deal: I move to New Orleans and you move to
Buenos Aires. The business would be good to me, but --believe me--  not so
good to you.

>Well, why not? They probably do nothing different when they're listening to
>music at home.

Well, when I'm listening to music at home (and if I'm not alone), I usually
do certain things which I don't believe necessary to explain, but which
could be very problematic to me if I would do them in a theater.

Pablo Massa