From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 18:00:17 +0100
Robert Clements responds to Stirling Newberry:

>> ... cell phones ringing, pagers paging, people cough and critics
>>wandering up and down the aisles reviewing the work as it happens....
>
>Didn't Malcolm Arnold write a concerto for audience & orchestra with much
>this kind of brief?

He did write a Concerto for Orchestra and Audience, and I clearly recall
playing my part in the premiere (and, AFAIK, only) performance on the Last
Night of the Proms in 1972. Or possibly 71 or 73. Mobile phones and pagers
hadn't been invented then, and I don't remember any parts for itinerant
critics. But I am fairly sure that the critics who were there (and remained
seated) were not too impressed.

Ian Crisp