From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2011 19:12:10 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>,
"[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> writes
>WRT the couple you reference above, "all because he changed in the
>house and she handled the suit when she washed it" seems to be "jumping
>to conclusions" at best....as we know, people do develop
>allergies...even beekeepers.  I'm not sure how one can conclude with
>any certainty what "caused" the allergy anymore than we can conclude
>that painting a hive yellow will deter mites even if we document a mite
>hive that is painted yellow.

Allergy to Bee Stings and Its Prevention [Paperback]
L.R. Croft

Its a University published work btw.

My own comments?...............

I have  written on this SO many times, having allergy in the family it
is a thing we researched closely, and my son, who still works with me,
and his girlfriend, are even allergic to pollen and honey, despite
having had the full works of desensitisation to bee stings (my son
twice).

I am not going to go through the whole rigmarole again..............but
there is NO doubt that what caused their allergy was persistent low
level exposure to bee debris, be it dust, hairs, dried venom, whatever.
It is due to the bees natural constituents themselves and NOT to any
other favourite 'bete noire' of anyone else (looking at other posts in
this thread).

That is not to say that you could NOT have an allergy to these other
things, but all my family friends and even two staff who ended up
allergic were allergic to BEES (not exclusively to venom btw). Yes it
WAS tested at one of the most advanced units in the subject in the UK
and under the supervision of a professor who is a major expert in this
field.

We stopped taking the suits home to wash, and subsequently had two more
children.........funnily enough they do not have allergy when all the
others in the family do.............so we set up a washroom at work and
all staff MUST wash their suits and gear there and not take it
home..........6 months later the girl who worked in the room next to the
washing facilities (making honey mustard) went down with serious level
allergy to bees.........level 4 on the RAST test for anyone who knows
about such things.
--
Murray McGregor