From:
Beekeepers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2019 01:27:54 -0000
>The UK sentinel program seems to be more of a health monitoring effort.  Have any exotic pests or pathogens been detected in sentinel hives to-date in the UK?

As far as the UK is concerned I have always maintained that it is reactive rather than proactive.  Given that we are an island I would have hoped for better, but it has always been 'when' something arrives.  Varroa arrived in 1992 and at that time all the emphasis was on detecting it rather than stopping it getting here.  When it arrived lines were drawn and we were, in theory, not allowed to move hives over the line.  Of course, varroa did not respect man-made lines and so the lines were moved.  A waste of time and effort; might have slowed the spread, as with SHB in Italy, but after a few years and a great deal of time and effort (and money) nothing really achieved.

Now inspectors are being taken of their usual duties (i.e. mainly foulbrood) to look for the Asian Hornet - but it is already looking as though it is getting established here, despite all the Sentinel Apiaries and huge cost.  Once these things arrive I think that the genie is out of the bottle!

Cynical?  Pessimist?  Perhaps, but usually correct.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W