From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 1995 16:42:18 +0700
>         There has been a lot of work done in Europe on Varroa and in general
> a dead hive doesn't mean the death of that strain of Varroa. As the hive
> declines the remaining bees realise they are not getting ahead and abscond,
> taking the Varroa with them of course.

<snip>

That's a particularly interesting aspect and one that makes one
wonder about bee behaviour generally.

It implies that most bees know where other hives are.  For what
distance?  Do the bees abscond individually, or in mass?  If the
latter, has this been witnessed and recorded scientifically?  All I
have heard about it is anecdotal - but convincing.

I know we used a purported pollen substitute (fish meal blend) one
year and made the mistake of putting it in alternate hives in a row.
The bees drifted to the non smelly hives!  As far as moving farther
afield, and in number, we know of hives absconding and of swarms
moving in on other hives.  Is this the same or another closely related
phenomenon?

> healthier hives. What we should try and do is, as our German counterparts
> do, treat all hives in an area at the same time, this successfully prevents
> the above problems.

I believe that this is being done in a number of areas in North
America too.  One of the things we (The Alberta Beekeepers
Association) have been contemplating is the practicality of
including it in our provincial Bee Act.  I think we concluded that
it would be difficult to legislate, but should be something that we
attempt to organise on a voluntary basis.

Has anyone any experience with this?  Is it mandated by law anywhere?

>         As to Varroa overwintering independantly of their hosts I suggest
> this is an impossibility as they are incapable of surviving for long periods
> on their own.

It does seem very very unlikely, however might there be the (remote)
possibility of alternate hosts?  What is the temperature sensitivity
of varroa?

We are asssured that if bees die in equipment, that a fairly short
time after, the equipment can be reused without danger. Does anyone
have first hand experience here - how long can a varroa mite live on
its own?
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0  Internet:[log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>