From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 15:16:33 +0100
John Wolford asks---    <<<<Also, how long can you keep a hive unassembled
without damaging the colony
during inspection.  Does it hurt  the colony to inspect more that once
monthly?>>>>>
I assume the KY in your address is for Kentucky and I know nothing about
nectar conditions there.  Here , however, in England where the weather
changes from day to day and the season is fairly short, it is necessary to
keep the hives full of bees from May to July in order to snatch the nectar
whenever the sun shines.  A monthly inspection would mean losing many swarms
and the consequent loss of a honey crop.  As far as I am concerned the art
of beekeeping lies in keeping the hives full of bees and not allowing them
to  swarm.  For this an inspection every seven to ten days is essential with
remedial action taken if queen cells are found.  I keep several stocks
permanently on scales and I have found that the routine inspection, carried
out with the minimum of fuss, every comb in the broodchamber scanned for
queen cells, costs from four to six pounds of nectar loss during a good flow
for that day only. I have seen it written that an inspection upsets the bees
for three days but that is not what I have found.   If there is little flow
on then the loss is negligible.  However, losing a swarm means losing half
of the foragers just when every bee is needed.  There is then a fortnight's
wait for a virgin to mate and start laying  and by the time the stock has
built up the season may be over.
<<<How long can you keep a hive unassembled?>>>>>    How long do you need?
A few minutes for the experienced, half an hour for the beginner.  Little
chance of real damage to the stock but the longer it is open the greater the
chance of damage to beekeeper and neighbours.  Checking twenty combs in a
double broodchamber stock, making sure you do not miss a single cell, can be
a daunting task for a beginner, often ending up with the bees in turmoil.
There is a right way and many wrong ones and I always advise any beginner to
work with or watch an experienced beekeeper before taking it on.

    Sid P.

Sid Pullinger                    Email :  [log in to unmask]    or
36, Grange Rd               [log in to unmask]
Alresford
Hants SO24 9HF
England