From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 08:15:46 -0700
>So, take a feral survivor stock that has swarmed 1 - 3+ times per year for
several years, move them into a gigantic new home, feed them, and keep them
from swarming.  Bang, varroa.

Bill, I'm in complete agreement with you.  In my own operation, I've always
split all my colonies in spring in order to emulate the natural process of
spring swarming and requeening.

And then during these past two years, we've for the first time attempted to
run some colonies for a second year without splitting.  We will never do
that again!

What we found (and what another large commercial friend found in a
controlled  trial) was that (at least since varroa) that there is a world
of difference between starting each spring with splits and trying to run
overwintered colonies for a second season.  It wasn't until I tried running
overwintered colonies that I finally understood why so many beekeepers have
many of the problems that they complain of.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA