From:
Lou Daveri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 01:51:01 +0000
Ah! Gloves for blokes!

My bloke doesn't have HUGE hands, but LARGE gloves are neither wide enough in the hand or long enough in the finger, and boy, have we tried a few brands!

Very occassionally, I can find an XL kitchen glove and buy several pairs. In general, we've found it more economical to buy LARGE rubber gloves OFTEN ($2-$3), rather than $30-$40 for ill-fitting leather gloves which have poor finger access and impossible tip control. Ye olde kitchen rubber glove is much easier to turn out and dry between uses. There's a nice white cotton glove I call a 'handling glove' that can stretch around the finger nicely, BUT, the fingers are still TOO SHORT, and the wrist band way too short as well.

My bloke is one of a vast number of men who have bent little fingers, and he's not going near a surgeon., This condition is so prevalent amoung men, I have never understood why no glove design accomodated this fault.

When studying OHS, decades ago, we were told that the main problem with PPE (person protective equipment) was that it was designed and made in China, where body size are shape do not match western body measurements, thus safety shoes were too narrow, ear muffs too tight, gloves too small (for men), etc.

In thirty something years, there seems to have been no improvement. Perhaps we should invade the crafters' web sites and seek glove makers among them!

Kifcat