From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:03:17 EST

<< This request may make sense only to Canadian or US beekeepers.

 In Canada we have a popular building product available called oriented strand
 board - sometimes called chip board or Aspenite.  It comes in 4' X 8' sheets
and
 is quite a bit cheaper than normal plywood.

 Has anyone used this for applications that are close to bees such as supers,
 nucs boxes, tops or bottoms?  If so did it have any negative effects on the
bees
 that you noticed?>>

    I've used it for nuc boxes, covers, and miscelaneous stuff. The bees come
into contact with it both fresh and painted, and I've never noticed any
toxicity.

 <<We know that ordinary lumber or plywood is best n the long run but we
envision
 only a short tern, particular case use.

 Our concern is in the glue or curing chemicals that may be used.  Any
comments
 will be appreciated. >>

    I won't ever use it again. I bought some equipment made by another
beekeeper, and it seemed okay. Actually he had soaked the pieces in oil based
paint, which did extend the life a bit. I got enthusiastic about the cost-
saving material and made quite a bit of equipment with it. Then I painted it
mostly with latex house paint. I just simply don't think it is cost effective,
because its lifespan is so short.

    If you are using it for some kind of throwaway, or disposable stuff. I
guess that's different.

Dave Green   SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page   http://www.pollinator.com
The Pollination Scene   http://members.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop on the Internet  (honey & beeswax candles)
http://members.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm