From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 2010 07:29:28 -0800
>but in the long term what do we know?

Garret, eight months is a fairly long term for a pesticide that rapidly
degrades, and that was never remotely near any toxic level in either nectar
or pollen.

> >(I really have no idea whether he continued to treat them identically
> after the trial).
> >Randy, that's speculation and I don't think that's fair. I think if he was
> going to do anything unsavory, it would have been in the citrus (if he was
> so inclined).

Garret, please do not put words into my mouth!  I consider Dave to be a
friend (he came to sit next to me at the presentation) and I would never
imply such!    I was simply stating that I have no idea--and it didn't occur
to me to ask.  A controlled trial has a protocol, and once the trial is
over, the protocol is over.  I simply had no idea if Dave followed any
protocol.

Dave is an honest, hardworking beekeeper, and I admire his efforts on behalf
of the beekeeping industry.  I find myself often playing the role of
impartial observer, and perhaps "Devil's Advocate" in pesticide issues, and
have made that clear to Dave and the members of the HBAB.  I've challenged
them (in a cooperative and friendly manner) to "convince me."  This is an
exercise to help them in their efforts to deal with the science of pesticide
issues.  I work in full cooperation with the HBAB guys, even if we disagree
on points.  In fact, I will copy this letter to Dave, as I would never say
anything behind his back.

> >This would be the question if Movento was replacing the currently
> registered pesticides but that isn't the case.

Growers are limited as to how much they can spend on pesticides.  In
practicality, the use of Movento may well replace the use of more harmful
pesticides that have longer residual actions.  Garret, this may be an
imperfect step forward in an imperfect world.

Randy Oliver