From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:41:35 -0400
This whole thread is getting heated and perhaps headed nowhere other
than my deleted items folder.

I am always wary of quoted snippets of publications and claims the
snippet "proves" the point trying to be made.  Furthermore, I am always
wary of posts that quote what was heard in presentations attended by the
author.  I have seen posts on BEE-L making assertions based on sessions
where I too was in the audience and thought, "Hmmm, I didn't hear that
said in the presentation."  I am thankful for such posts, as they give
me articles to read and food for thought.  But I take everything I read
on BEE-L with a grain of salt.

In the past few days I've seen both sides of the "SMR" debate, snip Dr.
John Harbo's writings saying it proves "SMR" does exist and proves "SMR"
does not exist.  Again I am wary that the snippets may be used out of
context to prove assertions that may or may not be correct.  "Harbo
says" in the subject header is misleading; it should read "John Doe says
Dr. Harbo says ..."  And frankly folks, I am tired of all this "He said
she said" that's been going around, especially when the hes and shes are
taking pot shots at one another.  Basta!  Play nice or don't play at
all.

I have not heard Dr. Harbo first hand since 2003 and have not read the
ENTIRITY of the articles from which snippets are being taken.  I never
heard Dr. Harbo assert that what he originally called "Suppressive Mite
Reproduction" is not going on.  I heard Dr. Harbo change the focus from
SMR to PMIB (percentage Mites in Brood).  His research continues and he
is getting a better understanding of what is going on. Regardless what
you call it, SOMETHING is going on!  Whether mites simly aren't
reproducing, or if they're not reproducing because they get cleaned out
of the cell before they get a chance to reproduce (hence a lower overall
percentage of mites in the brood), something is going on above and
beyond what is going on in the average hive.

So SMR yes, SMR no?  It's symantics.  Both sides are demanding, "Stick
to the facts!".  I'll add, "Stick to the facts and be civil about it!"
And I'll remind readers, as Andy always said, "Opinions are not facts!"
If snippets are quoted, include pointers to the entire article so
informed readers can determine if what is being quoted is being
delivered in or out of context.  Oinions based on snippets still are not
facts.

Finally, just so people know a bit of the "behind the scenes", since
last week I have received 6 requests from subscribers asking to be
removed from BEE-L.  Those are the ones I know about.  The list owner
need not be involved for subscribers to come and go.  But AT LEAST 6
members have bailed in the past week, presumedly because they can't take
the heat.  "Is too!", "Is not!" is not what BEE-L is about.  Please
folks, let's be civil, lets be informed.

Respectfully submitted,
Aaron Morris