From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2018 06:44:05 -0700
The above is more typical of what I see--often with quite a few pupae
involved--in patches, rather than along a line as with wax moth.  Note that
in two of the cells, the pupae are being removed.

Good fine, Pete, on the old reference!  Of interest is that unlike
Buchanan, the cells that I observe aren't elevated, and instead of the
pupae being left unsealed, the cappings were removed later.  It's possible
that I might have missed it over the years, but unlikely, since each spring
for many years I've looked at nearly every frame of brood in my operation
as we split all of our hives into nucs.  When I first started noticing it,
it appeared to suddenly become common.  But in the past few years, I've
seen less--perhaps do to better mite management on my part.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA