From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 07:49:42 -0700
> It all started with the suggestion that some winter loss could be
> explained by suffocation -- I would suggest that nobody has actually
> claimed to have had such a loss, if they had it would be worth
> discussing why and how to avoid it.
> We use fairly well sealed hives  here to overwinter (mid-Norway)
> with a ventilation opening at the bottom.

Glad to hear from Norway!

Actually, I've never heard of suffocation - except in unusual
circumstances, hence my arguements against it.  Maybe I should have
just said so straight out.

Thanks for your comments.  I'm very interested in the methods you
use.

I hope this barrage of questions isn't too presumptuous, but I'm sure
many on the the list would love to hear the response.  I know I sure
would.

* Do you use any insulation?

* Do winter the hives singly or in groups?

* What type of hives do you use?

* What is miminum acceptable hive weight going into winter?

* What are you minimum and average winter temperatures?

* How long at the lowest temperature?  When?

* When is your first frost?  Last flow?

* When is your first pollen?  Snow melt?

* Typical survival maeasured at May 10th

To answer these myself:

* Yes, R5 to R10 on all sides and R15 to R25 on top

* We place them in tightly into fours - 2 facing east and 2 west

* 2 Langstroth brood chambers with an 1 inch auger hole under
    the handhole in each box

* 50 Kilograms including floor and lid and bees

* -40 degrees Celcius and about minus 10 celcius

* For about a week or so, anytime from January through February

* First frost varies from August 20 to October 20.  Last flow September

* First reliable pollen is April 15.  Snow melts late March storms
     and snowfall occasionally until May

* Typical survival 850 per 1000 (useable hives)

Of course, if anyone else would like to jump in here and give the
answers to these questions and/or add questions to the list, I for
one would be delighted.
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0  Internet:[log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>