Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:59:29 GMT
I planted an apple tree with 5 varieties grafted on it 3 years ago.
It bloomed again this spring and produced several apples.  [It was
very gratifying to see a few of my honeybees on the blooms.] Most of
the apples fell before maturing and we harvested 2 with blemishes.
We peeled the blemished skin and ate the flesh.  The flavor was
unsurpassed.  Now I need to find organic methods to control blemishes
and worms...

>>I won't even get into the nutritional value or flavor of what is
grown.

The soils are getting more and more depleted of minerals.  Commercial
farmers fortify the soil with the basic 3 fertilizers but don't
replenish the minerals.  Every time, we go to the beach (it's a 15
minute drive for us) I bring a couple of shopping bags and collect
seaweed.  I work the seaweed into my garden soil.  I must say the
vegetables grow very nicely and the flavor is superb.  Seaweed is
loaded with minerals.

On the other hand, I can do nothing about the mineral content in my
honey.

>>...but does go into the chemicals that we cannot avoid that are now
in our food, air and water due to modern agricultural practices.

Many plastics prevelant in our lives our bodies recognize as
estrogens.  Elevated levels of estrogen, regardless of the source,
can cause breast cancer etc.  The Japanese have a diet rich in
soybeans that counter the effect of the artificial estrogens and they
have a very low incidence of breast cancer.  Soy beans also produce
nectar for the honeybees. :)

>>I am a new beekeeper -- got two packages in 2004, split them in
2005 and so now have 4.

Welcome to a unique club and enjoy the fine art of beekeeping!

Waldemar