From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:22:13 -0800
Mr. Spear shares, "There are two disadvantages [to plastic foundation]:  (1) the bees don't like it and (2) it is hard to (legally) dispose of it.  Numerous studies have shown that the bees draw it out much slower than they do plain wax foundation.  Dunno why, but it is a fact."

Response:  I won't dispute that fact.  My bees are the same way.  But here's what I've observed:

If you give bees more wax (melted and rolled on to the plastic foundation) they will use it to draw out the comb.  Roll sufficient wax (so I can see it) and I can accelerate the acceptance of plastic foundation to the same level of standard wax foundation.

I say, "standard wax foundation" as one of the Dadant officials from the Paris branch told me that bees will take the standard wax foundation and use it, not just as a guide, but to actually pull wax and draw out the comb from that sheet of foundation.

When I raised my eye brows in disbelief, he said he takes that colored foundation (used for candles) and will allow the bees to draw it out, then takes cross sections of the drawn comb.  The result will show the color pulled into the comb.  The bees use the foundation as a resource to draw out the foundation into comb.

From our discussion, he suggested I contact Dadant and request a special run of foundation.  Instead of the standard 11 sheets per pound (wired 5-5/8" for medium frames) I request a special run of 9 sheets per pound (thicker, heavier).

He went on to say this would be a special order and my require a run of 200 sheets.  He said to get it without hooks, then snap it into a groove top/groove bottom after adding your horizontal wires.

I have not contacted Dadant about this kind of a deal as I'm a plastic guy (with my added wax).

And yes, there are other techniques.  Plastic is especially useful on a strong hive during a strong flow, but in my experience, I would never, never try and coerce a package onto plastic foundation.  Inserting a frame of plastic foundation between two brood frames practically guarantees it's acceptance.

Also, as I've tried them all, I like Perma-dent first, and Rite-cell second.

Grant
Jackson, MO
http://www.makingplasticframeswork.homestead.com