From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 20:44:40 -0600
> > > I saw a worker laying an egg the other day. In a completely queen-right
> > > hive with a healthy, fecund queen. That made my whole week.

> This was discussed several years ago on this list.  It was under drones
> above the excluder.  There is research to show that workers do lay eggs and,
> naturally, they become drones.  They are drones in worker cells and not in
> drone cells which would stand to reason...

True, and the same topic came up recently in a different context when we
mentioned a report given by Gloria DeGrandi-Hoffman at the ABF in San Diego.
That particular BEE-L post is at
http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0104D&L=bee-l&D=0&P=2999
(Hope the URL does not wrap)

If I remember correctly, she indicated that small groups of Africanized workers
had been observed to invade European hives and lay eggs that developed into
queens and took over the hive.

allen

http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/
---
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging
their prejudices. -- William James