From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 13:50:27 -0700
Hi to all on BEE-L

Peter Borst wrote:
The experts warn of heavy inbreeding, much as Lusby does.
But the solution is not "further" isolation and selection,
as she has advocated. The genetic base has to be
"broadened", not narrowed. Hybridization and inbreeding are
two seperate issues. Good traits are essential, but so is
diversity.

Reply:
I have never said the solution is further "Isolation" and
selection. Why is Peter putting words into my mouth?

Yes, the genetic base has to be broadened and complex
mongrels and hygridization peeled off to match Nature for
what is done naturally in the field.

Yes good traits are essential and so is diversity or
variability within strains/races. Inbreeding is not a part
of this, outbreeding is.

For some basic thoughts on what I think, please see:

http://www.beesource.com/pov/lusby/apiacta1995.htm
published in Apiacta XXX pgs 20-29, 1995 titled: Field
Breeding Basics for Honeybees Using Colony Thermodynamics
Within the Transition zones. (don't forget to hit with
arrow any underlined figs, etc to bring up supporting
charts and grafts.

also please see Chapter 8 located at:

http://beesource.com/pov/lusby/

Sincerely,