From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 09:37:55 -0500
Hi Glyn and Everyone,

This sort or gene transfer is not something new and has been shown with other genes in the past.  That is why the researcher was not surprised by this finding.  Not the issue you and others have raised about antibiotic resistant marker genes being used.  First all these resistance genes are from bacteria as far as I know so they will transfer back to bacteria but again this is nothing new and has been going on for a long time.  Many companies though have moved away from antibiotic resistance genes for markers for the reasons cited - we really don't want to spread these antibiotic resistance genes around any more than they already are.  If the marker genes are not antibiotic resistance genes this concern is dealt with but some of the other issues are not.  We do know from other studies of horizontal gene transfer that it does  occur and any gene we put out in the environment may move.  Of course these genes come from somewhere in the environment so we are just increasing their frequency but that still does carry some concern.
My own concern about the use of the Bt. genes is that insect pests will become resistant to Bt one of our safest pest controls and a mainstay of organic and other low impact producers as well as being non-toxic to most non pest insects like bees and predatory insects.

blane

Blane White
MN Dept of Agriculture