From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:00:19 -0400
Mike Stoops wrote:

> Bill,
>     Will be planting blueberry bushes this coming year
> around the house.  Have you noticed bees playing a
> really important part in the pollination of the
> blueberries?

Everyone else answered this well. But since it was directed to me, I
will add a bit.

I also have high and low bush blueberries and do not expect them to be
pollinated by my bees, unless nothing else is around.

Hives on the blueberry barrens can, and often do, go in heavier than
they come out. Many who pollinate go to raspberries right after
blueberries to make some honey, both for the bees and for sale.

Also, the bee is worked hard and will often be nearly hairless from
trying to get nectar from the small blossoms.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine