From:
Anthony N Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 14:51:53 +0200
> > I don't
> > see how keeping the hives warmer would deplete food stores.

Conventional wisdom here (Norway) where it can, but seldom does, go down
to 40 below (celsius)is as follows:
1. Over wintering indoors generally is more work than the benefits if
any it results in.
2. Temperature as such does not appear to be the factor that determines
rapid usage of winter food stocks - but temperature swings above and
below zero do cause increased usage. As does physical disturbance.
3. As we use netting floors we can shut the hive entrance to prevent
bees coming out to into the shed or whatever. Natural lighting is no
different indoors to outdoors.
4. Indoor over wintering avoids wind cooling and can be particularly
useful for small colonies such as nuclei.
5. The hives should be moved back outdoors before there is a risk of
cleansing flights beginning.
6. The ideal is a draught free, unheated, unlighted, preferably unused
(for other purposes) outhouse.

I have over wintered nuclei several times indoors with 100% success, but
would not consider indoors for full size colonies unless I really had a
severe wind problem.

Tony

--
Anthony N Morgan,