From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:00:55 -0400
We often hear people touting one strain or race over all others and wonder
.I suppose we should discuss the fact that no one honey bee strain will suit
everyone.

The simple fact is that there are many different places, purposes, methods,
and beekeepers.  Each combination has different goals and challenges.

Some want to keep bees for a hobby, usually on a small plot of land and need
calm, tolerant bees, and productivity is sometimes not an issue.

Others may move bees many times a year, pollinate, and then also produce
honey.

Some want to tinker with their bees and try to create a new method or
device -- or philosophy.

Some are in the North, and others are in the South.  Some are both.

Some have many helpers, machines, experience and an education.  Others have
none of these.

All their needs are different.  Each has different expectations of their
bees, and limits to what they are willing or able to do.

I suppose it would not be hard to write 2000 words on the topic, but I have
little time today.

Discuss.

allen