From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2017 20:13:29 -0400
Christina:

  But it is disingenuous to infer that we can do anything to bring our inventions to market, when the patents on our discoveries don't belong to us.

Actually, they may belong to you.  If not, your faculty should find out why not?  Bayh-Dole clarifies the rights of the contractor.  You as faculty at Cornell should check - I'd be surprised if Cornell doesn't have an IP officer, and faculty are likely to have march-in rights. But, you won't get them, if you don't ask for them.

If the project was conducted using public funds, Bayh-Dole is intended to address your IP rights as an innovator.

If the project was conducted using private funds, then your probably don't have any rights.

Still, if the UC Davis projects received private funds, then the provider has IP rights.